While some great recipes are kept secret at any cost, in the holiday spirit we are sharing a delicious recipe so as many people as possible can enjoy it. Use this simple but effective recipe from Archadeck of West Central & Southwest Ohio to whip up a combination outdoor living space that can take you to new heights of total outdoor living satisfaction. Our test kitchen for this recipe was the beautiful Dayton, OH, suburb of Vandalia, OH.
Our mission in creating this dish/project was this:
• Take an existing deck that was already great.
• Add a few more ingredients.
• Mix in some technological advances that were not around when it was originally created.
• Turn out a new-and-improved combination outdoor living space right here in the greater Dayton, OH, area.
Before we begin, let’s review the meaning of the term, “combination outdoor living space.” This technical term refers to an outdoor space design that combines two or more outdoor living structures. The design principle at work here is “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.” Architects and designers know that the right combination of outdoor structures, artfully connected, will create a perfect synergy — to the delight of homeowners who love to relax and entertain outdoors.
For today’s combination recipe, we will work with three simple structures: the deck, the pergola and the patio — which is also known as hardscape. Examples of other likely components of outdoor combination designs include 3-season rooms, 4-season rooms, screened porches, covered porches, sunrooms, outdoor kitchens, outdoor fireplaces, fire pits, seating walls, poolside pavilions, trellises and gazebos. Structural embellishments might include special canopies and awnings.
Recipe: Just-Right Combination Outdoor Living Space
Prep time: 2 weeks
Cooking time: 8-12 weeks
Serves 1-16 comfortably
- AZEK composite decking boards*
- Mt. Hope white vinyl railing system
- Mt. Hope white vinyl pergola
- Oberfield paving stones*
- Lattice panels
- Outdoor lighting fixtures by Kichler lighting
- Other miscellaneous building supplies as needed
*Notes about color selection: AZEK and Oberfield each offer a wide selection of colors from which to choose, allowing you to select those that best complement your home. For the patio, we recommend a blended pallete of mixed stone colors and a bold contrasting color for the patio border.
1. Hire a reputable contractor specializing in outdoor living spaces with extensive experience building combination spaces. Archadeck of West Central & Southwest Ohio is the best around, so you should call us. Archadeck offers a free, no-obligation consultation. We have plenty of references and can show you many images of completed projects.
Notes about the Vandalia, OH, project pictured here:
• This project was actually a redeck, which means we replaced the decking boards, railings and lattice panels but used the original substructure (the framing that supports the deck underneath). The homeowner’s father built the original deck 15 years ago, and he built it to be strong. The substructure was so strong and still in good condition so very little had to be done in order to use it again for a new deck. Certainly proof that a job well done stands the test of time!
• These homeowners chose to replace their original wooden deck surface with one of today’s composite decking products. Composites had not been perfected when the deck was originally built 15 years ago, and many homeowners were wary of them at the time. Today’s composite building materials offer high-quality, low-maintenance options for homeowners who don’t want to devote time or money to the annual upkeep recommended to maintain a wooden deck.
• You may notice in the “Before” photo that the railing ends at the top of the steps. Even though this deck has only two or three steps, today’s builders will extend the railing to the bottom step for safety.
• Archadeck recommends the use of outdoor lighting for ambiance and safety.
We hope this recipe has encouraged you to explore the world of combination outdoor living spaces. If you are ready to take your Dayton or Cincinnati-area backyard from great to spectacular, contact Archadeck of West Central & Southwest Ohio today at (937) 848 – 7040 or (513) 897 – 2040, or via email at [email protected].
Tim Stephens, owner, Archadeck of West Central & Southwest Ohio.
Let this be the year that Archadeck makes your outdoor living dreams come true.